Note from President Tipson
The massive earthquake in Haiti has taken the lives of more than 200,000 people, left half of the country's population homeless, and orphaned more than 200,000 children. Everyone in the Washington College community is shaken by the magnitude of the destruction and the loss of life. Students have begun organizing fundraisers to send aid to the ravaged nation, already the poorest in the Western Hemisphere. While there were no College students or faculty members in Haiti at the time of the earthquake, we have at least one report of a member of the Washington College community who has lost a friend there. Our hearts go out to all those directly touched by this terrible event.
As news reaches us of alumni on the ground, we will share it with you. In the meantime, please join me in supporting one of the international relief organizations sending aid to Haiti.
ZUMBATHON for Haiti Relief
Saturday, January 30, 2010
Time: 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Cain Athletic Center at Washington College
What is a ZUMBATHON? In this case, a 3-hour fitness party hosted by several certified ZUMBA® instructors from the area—including Washington College students and alumni—leading dances to pulsating international beats. All proceeds go to the American Red Cross Haiti Relief Fund.
- Event starts at 1:00 p.m. and goes until 4:00 p.m.
- We are asking for a $10 donation for entry, additional donations welcomed! (Red Cross prefers checks, however cash will be accepted)
- No experience necessary, our instructors will be plentiful and are experienced, all you have to do is show up and be willing to have FUN!
- Water is being donated, but it is encouraged to bring some as well
- Wear comfortable workout clothes
- This event is come and go as you please, drop in for a few songs or stay the whole time, it's up to you!
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.