Chestertown, MD, September 10, 2007 — As part of its 225th Anniversary Celebration, Washington College is assembling a group of 225 students, faculty, and staff to participate in Relay for Life, a community gathering where everyone can participate in the fight against cancer. The Relay begins at Kent County High School September 14 at 6 p.m. and concludes September 15 at 11:00 a.m. Support the faculty, staff, and student participants from Washington College in their effort to raise funds for the American Cancer Society through donations or by attending the event.Check the progress of campus community members who are participating in Relay for Life.
Schedule for the Relay
6:00 p.m. The Survivors Lap
The traditional cancer survivor lap is everyone who has survived cancer. They take the ceremonial first lap around the track. Once the survivors go half way around the track, family members and caretakers may join the survivors for the second half of the lap. Upon finishing the lap, you and your loved ones are invited to the survivor reception.
7:00 p.m. The Relay officially begins
8:30 p.m. The Luminaria Ceremony
Saturday, September 15, 2007
10:30 a.m. The Closing Ceremony
In support of the American Cancer Society and the Kent County Relay for Life, "Penny Wars" is a competition between the freshmen, sophomores, juniors, seniors, and the faculty/staff. The object is to get as many points as possible through monetary donations for the Relay for Life event.
Penny Wars Rules
- The project is run from Friday, September 7 - Friday, September 21
- There will be 1 container for each class (freshmen, sophomore, junior, and senior), including one for faculty/staff. Each container will have a slit at the top so coin and paper money can be inserted.
- The containers will be labeled for the appropriate class and located just inside the Dining Hall entrance beside the cash register.
- Students from their respective class, and Faculty/Staff should put pennies in their class' container; with one point being received for every penny in the container.
- You may put other coins and paper currency into other containers. Each silver coin or bill will reduce the number of points from that container by the amount of the coin (e.g. a nickel reduces the points by five, a dime by ten, a dollar by 100, etc...).
- Containers will be emptied and counted every other day and the totals for each class and the faculty/staff will be posted daily, on the containers, as well as the webpage, for people to see.
As part of a campus effort to raise money, $1.00 raffle tickets are being sold in the dining hall during lunch and dinner for the following prizes:
- A hooded Washington College Under Amour sweatshirt
- A hooded Under Amour Sweatshirt
- A Gift Certificate to Galena Blooms
- A Gift Certificate to The Granary
- An iPod Nano
- Gift Certificate for two lunches (including dessert and drinks) at Feast of Reason.
- Two Under Amour t-shirts
- Vase/Candle from Rachel's Flower Power
The drawing for the raffle and the announcement of which class has won the Penny Wars will take place at the Waterfront Festival September 22 in Wilmer Park.
If you have questions or would like to make a donation, sign up to volunteer/participate, or register, please contact Tessa Miskell, at 410-778-7888 or e-mail email@example.com.